Cleaning in a green way is something that is very important to me. Years ago, in an attempt to sanitize the bathroom, we mopped it with Pine Sol and that made our cat Lily who would walk on the bathroom floor and lick her paws very sick. Thankfully for us, we used a very diluted version of Pine Sol and after a quick trip to the vet, Lily was ok. Lily has since passed away, she died last December, but that first incident with her made us vow to use only pet safe cleaning products on our floors, counters and literally anywhere a pet might come into contact with. After all, our pets (and children) are literally crawling on these spaces all day and what goes on their paws/feet often make it into their mouths.
Our weapon of choice when it comes to cleaning floors is the ever popular Swiffer Wet Jet. I would imagine this is true for most American families but if there’s something I hate about the Swiffer Wet Jet is the fact that you HAVE to buy their refills. There are conflicting arguments around whether or not the Wet Jet is harmful to pets and children and that’s definitely not something I want to get into. Point is, I want to be able to choose what I clean my floor with. I personally like the Naturally Clean Floor Cleaner and I want to use it with my Wet Jet. So I did some research and learned that there was a way to get those Swiffer Wet Jet refill caps off so that you could well, refill them!
Functionally the cap on the Wet Jet refills are self-locking – there are little plastic prongs on the inside that latch onto the bottle and this is why you can’t refill them. But all you need to get rid of these pesky prongs is some hot water and a pair of nail clippers!
Step One: Bring a little pot of water to boil. Once it is boiling, place the Wet Jet refill cap first into the water. The goal here is to soften the plastic enough to be able to twist it off. Hold it in the water for about 2 minutes, then take it out, and use a rag or pot holder to grab the cap and twist it off. It should come off really easily.
Step Two: Once you get the cap off, look for the little pesky locking prongs and snip each and every single one of them off. I used nail clippers because its easiest plus they kind of look like errant nails that could turn into ingrown ones anyway! I know they are hard to see in the picture but once you get the cap off, you’ll see them!
Step Three: Once you get all the prongs off, its just a matter of filling your now refillable bottle with a cleaning solution you like (and is good for children and pets), sealing it back with the cap and inserting it back into your Swiffer Wet Jet. And then its back to mopping. 🙁
And there you have it – a refillable Wet Jet safe that is safe for all! And to be clear, this post was NOT sponsored by P&G, the makes of the Swiffer Wet Jet.